Note: I’ll be adding to this gift guide in coming days/weeks. There are so many great gifts for writers out there! If you have suggestions or items on your wish list please send them over and I’ll add them to the guide.
What do you get the writer who has everything? Or, perhaps this is more accurate: Oh no! You drew THE WRITER for your secret Santa gift exchange and you have no clue what would make a good gift! Help! What are the best gifts for writers anyway? Is there a GIFT GUIDE?
Yes, yes there is.
Best Gifts for Writers
Writer-themed coffee mugs
Writing mugs need no introduction. They’re silly, they’re funny (to writers), and they hold coffee. AKA the perfect gift.
- I Am A Writer That Means I Live In a Crazy Fantasy World With Unrealistic Expectations Thank You For Understanding Ceramic Mug. It’s accurate, it’s pretty, it’s practical. It’s perfect.
- Stay up late and write mug. I love the typewriter. And the meta writing about writing.
- There Their They’re mug. Don’t worry, your writer will get it.
- Please do not annoy the writer, she may put you in a book and kill you mug. I think the two-tone mug takes the edge off the murdery stuff.
- Novel in progress mug. Short and to the point. It gives a real “leave me alone, I’m writing” vibe.
- Writer’s Block is a Figment of Your…Uh…mug. I can’t think of anything to say about this mug.
Writers aren’t all about writing. They appreciate writing-themed jewelry too!
- Outlander Sassenach pendant necklace. In October I attended a writing conference and it was all Outlander all the time. So I know this one’s a winner.
- Keep Calm and Write On pendant necklace. A cliche, a mantra, a push to keep going.
- Why is a raven like a writing desk? Alice in Wonderland necklace. I’m watching Through the Looking Glass as I write this…there may have been some influence.
- Book pendant necklace. So many books, so little time.
Yes, this is super practical. But I’ve pulled some of the cooler writing notebooks from the Internet. Although everyone uses computers, many writers prefer pen and paper for staying organized. I even know writers who write their novels by hand!
- Field Notes Kraft Ruled 3-Pack. These 48-page mini logs are masterpieces.
- Prettysweeeet Planner. Text reads “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” Pretty sweeeeet huh?
- Wanderings Pocket Leather notebook. It’s pretty, it’s refillable, and it’s perfect for writing in.
- Productivity Planner. Get focused, beat procrastination, write things in a pretty notebook. Win win win.
Writers love real life books but they’re also realists. Where do they put all those books they read? Which is why you should get the writer on your list an e-reader. Here are a few options!
- Kindle Paperwhite E-reader
- Fire 7 Tablet with Alexa
- Fintie NOOK GlowLight Plus Case
- Sony PRS-600 Touch Edition Digital E-Book Reader
Books on the craft of writing are great gifts for writers! These are a few of my favourites.
- Writer’s Market Deluxe Edition 2018: The Most Trusted Guide to Getting Published. This is the standard gift for writers!
- On Writing: 10th Anniversary Edition: A Memoir of the Craft. This book is incredible. The advice and writing tips took my writing to the next level. It also banished adverbs. Yay.
- Jeff Herman’s Guide to Book Publishers, Editors and Literary Agents 2017: Who They Are, What They Want, How to Win Them Over. This is similar to the Writer’s Market but can there be too much of a good thing? When it comes to writing books, I say no!
- The Weekend Book Proposal: How to Write a Winning Proposal in 48 Hours and Sell Your Book. I’m building my book proposal right now so you can see where my head’s at. Book! Book! Write your book!
Every writer needs a writing T-shirt. And these ones are funny. Trust me on this.
- Write on. T-shirt. Funny, right?
- To Quote Hamlet T-shirt. This is quite silly, but I like it! (And I think your writer will too.)
- I put the lit in literature T-shirt. I’m not 100 per cent sure what “lit” means in today’s slang but my gut says it’s pretty cool. So this saying is probably cool too.
- This Is My Writing Shirt. Pretty. To the point. Accurate.
- Grammar Police T-shirt. This is for those special writers or editors in your life who are proud of their grammar grasp and want the world to know they’re paying attention to misplaced modifiers and pronoun usage.
- This weekend is going to be LITerary T-shirt. Another “lit” joke! But I like to think of it as a nod to How I Met Your Mother, “It’s going to be legend…wait for it…dairy!”
- 1200 Creative Writing Prompts (Adventures in Writing). If you’re looking for writing ideas, you’ve come to the right place.
- 1,000 Awesome Writing Prompts. Prompt sections include beginners writing prompts, constrained writing, flash fiction, ripper prompts, and general writing prompts.
- A Year of Creative Writing Prompts. Kick your imagination into gear with this collection of hand-picked, hand-crafted, explosively creative writing prompts!
- 365 Journal Writing Ideas: A year of daily journal writing prompts, questions and actions to fill your journal with memories, self-reflection, creativity and direction. Follow the undated daily journal writing prompts and weekly actions to fill your journal to the point of bursting.