If you’ve been a freelance writer for any length of time I’m betting someone has told you it’s time to get your email list started. I’m right, aren’t I?
How to start an email list (and what to send)
I know you thought about starting an email list. And you would but…what on earth do you send? Right!? Am I reading your mind right now?
Is there a certain number of subscribers you think you need before starting? Well, there is no reason to wait. Even one subscriber is worth starting for. I have two reasons why.
First, that subscriber has no idea they’re the only one.
Second, by starting small you’ll get good at emailing. Get the bugs and make mistakes when your audience is small, it’s so much less intimidating.
Three ideas for getting your email list started and what to send to your subscribers
1. Share your latest article, video, podcast, etc.
Tell subscribers about a piece you published. And link to it. It’s an easy way to let people know what’s going on without putting on too much pressure.
2. Write an exclusive article or essay about a topic the people on your list want to learn more about
This could be extra work, true. But it’s a nice way to make your subscribers feel special. If you don’t know what they want why not ask?
3. Curate a list of articles based on your audiences’ interests
Get to know your audience and their interests. Nail the topic and your email subscribers will love you! Research and freelance writing go hand-in-hand, making this both easy and fun. Just remember to share what you find with your audience.
Are you stuck for ideas? I have a worksheet for you! You can read the full training on How to Brainstorm Ideas or check out the free fillable sheet in my resource library.
Just pop your email address into the form below and I’ll send you the password for my resource library. When you’re there, navigate to the writing category and download the “How to Brainstorm Ideas for Writing Worksheet.”
These are a few quick ideas to get you started with emailing your list.
Maybe you’re not sure you need it. I get it! You’re a freelance writer, what do you need with email subscribers? Well I have a few reasons why getting an email list started is in your best interest.
I wrote an article over on Story Board called Why Freelancers in Marketing and Communications Should Have an Email List. Here’s the quick version. Check out the post for the explanations:
- An email list nurtures potential clients who aren’t ready to hire you…yet
- An email list helps people who are on the fence about hiring you
- It is a great way to stay in touch with previous clients
- An email list helps you build authority in your niche
- An email list helps you avoid the freelancer feast or famine cycle
- You own your email list
Extra credit: If you’re ready to start your email list and you want a kick-start allow me to recommend Jennifer Maker’s free e-book List Love.
Other Articles You May Like
- How to Create a Digital Business Card for Your Freelance Writing Business
- LIST LOVE Introduction to List Building [book review]
- 4 Email Etiquette Tips to Make You Stand Out
One more thing. You may be interested in my free resource library. This is where I keep my files, downloads, ebooks, worksheets and whatever else I manage to create. I love sharing what I learn. And I hope you get a lot out of it!
To keep this free resource library special I have it password protected. You can get access by popping your email address into the form below.