How do people add captions to Facebook videos?
Subtitles. Words. Closed captions. How do you add them?
I wondered the same thing, is adding captions to Facebook videos some sort of magic I wasn’t privy to, or perhaps a paid feature for rich people? Well, it turns out there’s one easy way to add captions and I’m here to blow your mind. Maybe.
Do I need to make an argument for adding captions? You scroll through Facebook with your phone/computer on silent like I do, right? So even though “everything’s all about video” people still need a hook to draw them in. I believe the hook is captions. Tell people what they’re watching. Don’t make them work too hard.
How to add captions to Facebook videos
- If you’re on a page, click in the “write something” box and then on the camera icon like you’re going to add a new post (because you are). If you’re on a personal profile click on the Photo/Video link in the “what’s on your mind?” box. You’ll find this at the top of your timeline or news feed
- Upload your video, add your description and screenshot and then click post
- Once the video is ready to view, hover over the video and click the three dots in the top right-hand corner, then click on Edit Post
- Your default view is on the first tab, Basic. Navigate to the second tab, Captions
- Here you’ll see two choices: Upload SRT File or Generate. Let’s choose Generate
- Here’s where things get magical. You’ll see Facebook auto-populate your captions and now all you need to do is tweak them (their voice recognition is good, but it’s fallible)
- Once you’re happy with the captions, click Save to Video and you’re done! You have just added captions to Facebook videos you genius you!
If you’re wondering about the SRT File option, this is a SubRip file you have to set up ahead of time in Notepad or TextEdit. You’ll need to understand the formatting and know your caption time spans so if you aren’t following this sentence just stick with the Facebook-generated captions, alright?
Top tip: I schedule video posts for my clients and was dismayed when this didn’t work. When your post is scheduled you can’t generate captions to Facebook videos but you can still upload a SRT file. So don’t worry if you can’t generate captions—just create a reminder to add them once your video posts/publishes on Facebook.
Other helpful resources
- How do I add or remove captions on my video? from Facebook
- Schedule Social Media with These Free Apps and Services
- Tips for Spreading the Love on Social Media