If you’re thinking maybe it’s time to start a blog, I hope this overview helps you decide one way or the other. I’ve seen many benefits from blogging so recommend it if you’re willing to put in the work!
Why Start a Blog?
Blogging is one of those things people hear they should do…and then hear they shouldn’t do. So you may be wondering if there’s any merit at all in it.
There is. Merit that is. However, it’s not something to be taken lightly. Before deciding to start a blog think about your goals. What are your reasons? What do you want to get out of it? Is it something you can commit to?
If you think blogging will make you an overnight success or you’ll be discovered or some other get-rich-quick dream I’d take a step back and adjust your expectations. Sure, that could happen but the chances are low. However, there are still other excellent reasons to start a blog.
10 Reasons to Start a Blog
- Regular blogging improves your writing
- By managing a blog you can also improve your tech and design skills
- A blog is a great way to share your ideas and passions with others
- You can blog any day or time, no restrictions
- Blogging helps you find your voice
- You can help people through your blog
- Blogging helps you express yourself
- There are a lot of networking opportunities in the blogging world
- Publishing a blog helps you put your writing out there
- Blogging helps you gain confidence in yourself and your writing
In my opinion, blogs are brilliant. And for those just starting out in freelance writing, you blog can be an excellent source of writing samples (until you build your own portfolio). It can also give you a ton of useful resources to share on social media to help build your platform.
Of course, launching a blog is only the first part. The real secrets to blogging success are proper positioning and consistency. Over time you’ll carve a nice little space for yourself and build a community.
If you want another perspective I thought this article from the Unveiled Wife about why start a blog was insightful.
Other helpful Articles
- How to Promote Your Writing on Social Media
- What is an Author Platform?
- Branding Yourself: Choosing a Niche