Well everyone it’s time to care about hearts again. Isn’t it interesting how we could care less about some things for 355 days of the year and then for 10 we—suddenly—will pay $4.99 for something we will probably only use once?
Why do I care about hearts?
Here are a couple items I noticed in recent days while out shopping.
- One muffin (?) pan, slightly used…contains a one-time use MAX, now jacked up to special holiday pricing for a limited time only. Surely.
- Special cake (?) pans…a special feature this week even. Unfortunately they don’t list the price but I can assure you, it’s more than I would pay for something I would, again, only use once.
So what’s a girl to do for Valentine’s Day when she wants to bake things because she knows it’s time to care about hearts again?
Oh right, I don’t have to do anything. But isn’t it interesting how much attention this random non-event receives commercially?
That said, I still want to do some sort of Valentine’s project, but I don’t want to be over-charged for it. So while I searched and searched for regular-priced used goods at the local thrift and dollar stores, I finally decided to purchase a ton of red candles and wax crayons.
I spent maybe $6 and I’ve already thought of three different projects I can use these items for.
- I went searching around my junk drawers and found all sorts of interesting and potentially great shapes for my projects
- And a weird egg-thing I was given for Christmas as a joke. I don’t even know where to put it let alone know what to do with. Maybe now is the time?
- Oh, and what project would be complete without a random boat and fish cookie cutter?
What fun I say!
And I was feeling pretty good about my resourcefulness and my refusal to buy into the commercialism of holidays (especially since I also remember my mom baking square cookies and cakes and then cutting them into the interesting shapes once they cooled—genius!).
But, of course, in the midst of my self-congratulations I ran across this delicious Valentine-y post. And now all my self-righteousness is out the window. I have to make these cookies.
I even Pinned it. And I don’t do that for just any cookies.
Other Valentine’s Day related craft posts
One more thing. You may be interested in my free resource library. This is where I keep my files, downloads, ebooks, worksheets and whatever else I manage to create. I love sharing what I learn and want to keep adding to this library so it becomes a wealth of helpful goodness.
This is a free resource but I do require a password to access the library itself. You can get access by popping your email address into the form below.