Wondering what the top five breakfasts are? I should note this list may be incomplete as I am not the expert on breakfast. Many days I’m a late starter rushing out the door with only coffee (bad!). But actually, I LOVE BREAKFAST. If I could get up early enough I would have it every day.
And this will be about actual breakfast food, not about The Breakfast Club even though there are five of them.
Top Five Breakfasts
- English Breakfast. There was a time I couldn’t think of anything better than a greasy English breakfast. Honestly. I don’t know what it was…the baked beans perhaps? The buttery eggs? The meat I would almost always taste and then leave behind? The rye toast, perfect for soaking up the liquedy goodness left behind? I don’t know. I still don’t really get it. But it was my go-to breakky for a lot longer than I’d like to admit. And still, I think it’s in my top five breakfasts even though I haven’t had it in ages. Trying to eat a bit more healthy these days…
- Smoothies. My next best breakfast is a fruit smoothie. I love these things, if only they weren’t so messy. I especially like mixing flavours of fruits and veggies together to make something new. It’s always an adventure when I’m controlling the blender, let me tell you! I think most people are into shakes and smoothies these days so I won’t go into too much detail. Usually I have ice, fruit juice, water, fresh fruit, frozen fruit, and maybe a vegetable or two for fun. Also I sometimes put in this weird yogurt stuff (kefir) that my husband thinks is good bacteria for us to be ingesting. I think it tastes weird so I know I’d much rather have it in my smoothie than on my cereal.
- Granola. I don’t care how it’s made, what the combination of grains and nuts and whatever is. I just love it. LOVE IT! In fact, I love it so much I want to start making my own so I really know I’m eating a healthy breakfast. (I know a lot of processed granola can contain sugars and sodium etc. that I don’t realize). Plus I love it with fruit and yogurt and milk and whatever! Love it.
- Cereal. I’ve always loved cereal. And I want to highlight one in particular, which I only discovered this weekend. It’s from Nature’s Path and is an organic cereal called Flax Plus. When I first saw it I was a bit hesitant to eat it because it looked like it might hurt my mouth. But actually it was nice and crunchy, but not too crunchy. And when I put fresh picked raspberries on top I couldn’t actually think of anything that’s tasted better. It was really good, plus it was really healthy. A great start to my morning and so simple.
- Sausage and Egg McMuffin. I used to be embarrassed about this but I can’t hide it any longer. One of my all-time favourite breakfasts has to be the McDonald’s Sausage and Egg McMuffin. I can’t explain it. I just love the combination so much. And while I like other breakfast sandwiches from other places, none compare with McDonald’s. Bizarre I know, but I love it!
So there we go. You want to make my day? Now you have the tools. I really am that easily pleased.