DIY Garden Signs
Here’s a quick and dirty tutorial for easy DIY garden signs even when you have zero artistic skills. I know because I did it.
What you need
- Reclaimed wood (pallet, bed frame, etc.) upcycled into a sign-like form
- Sponge/paint brushes (various sizes)
- Acrylic craft paint
- Containers for water/paint (Solo cups will do)
- Stencils or craft letters
- Mod Podge or glue that dries clear
- Sealer/finish spray/wax
What you do
- Using staples, nails, etc. create sign-like shapes from old pallets or bed frames
- Once you’re happy with your sign shapes, sand, sand, sand. Serious here—if there’s any kind of finish on the wood the paint won’t absorb. If you’re going for the distressed/weathered look (pre-actual weathering) sand extra! In fact, sand extra anyway. You’re welcome
- Paint your pallet sign however you want. If you’re going for the washed-out look mix paint with a bit of water in a separate container and wash over wood with a sponge brush. This is an easy process and dries fast. Allow paint to dry before adding layers
- Once your undercoat is dry, stencil letters/images with a pencil and paint in as desired. If you have zero artistic skill like me then glue craft letters to your sign using a clear-drying glue. Allow to dry again
- Add any further embellishments and allow to dry
- Seal using finish spray or clear wax and allow to dry
It’s a straightforward craft but adds so much character to your garden. In my case, future garden. I don’t have a lot of experience with vegetables so I thought I should go the route of encouraging my seeds along plus reminders (#pleasegrow #intaflowers #lettuceeat #wtf (water the flowers)). That said I’m also planning a sign saying “I didn’t plant this” because I’m quite certain I will grow many mystery plants. It’s just how things go for me.
I still have some finishing touches to put on my signs but this is the general idea if you’re looking for a fun project on a cold winter’s night. Watch my Instagram for the finished products in all their glory. Or however they turn out.